The Learning Farm:Planting Seeds of Change - Java
Last modified: 2013-10-29 22:53:47
The Learning Farm's training program is an intensive, goal-oriented program aimed at providing the youth with a well-rounded training to gear them towards creating viable farming businesses in the long term. It consists of two integrated components: namely the organic vegetable production and marketing component and the youth training and community development component.
The Learning Farm:
- Equips participants with knowledge and practical experience in organic agricultural production, marketing and management.
- Builds a sustainable, socially-oriented business enterprise through marketing organic produce and value-added products to help finance operating costs.
- Initiates a networking centre that facilitates the sharing of gained knowledge and experience between individuals, organizations, and communities involved with vulnerable youth and sustainable agriculture.
- Develops communities through alumni-initiated organic farming enterprises and alumni-led organic farming extension and marketing support efforst.
The Impact of Our Work:
- 215 young people, ages 16-24
- 70% graduation rates for phase I, with 90% success rate of graduates engaged in going to school, reuniting with their familis and other productive activity
- 60% of recent class graduates earn their livelihoods through organic farming, starting organic farming enterprises and working on commerccial organic farms as staff, supervisors and consultants.
For more information about The Learning Farm and a .pdf about the new project, email or website.
Keywords: The Learning Farm,Indonesia,NGO,organic,education,SavetheChildren,World Education,Java,TLF,youth,farming,entrepreneurship,street children,environment